Hi, John and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Quick disconnect check ball stuck.
14. Compression below 75 PSI.
15. A stuck-bent-burnt valve.
16. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
17. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
18. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
19. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections are loose or connected to the wrong cylinders.
20. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
21. Faulty neutral, clutch, kickstand safety switch.
22. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
23. Faulty or corroded run/stop switch.
24. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
25. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Vstar 1100 wont start starter turns but no ignition
What to do When Your Motorcycle Won Start
Yamaha XVS1100AWR Owner Manual
without knowing the year and if carb or fuel injected, first thought would be to check the timing. loosen the distributer up just enough so it can be turned a little bit, use a timing light and directions how to use it are easily available online or in the box, by rotating the distributer either clockwise or counter clockwise youll see the timing marks get closer, or further apart, we want them lined up and once its in sync tighten the distributer back down. if unable to get it timed with the few degres of advance/****** available via the distributer, the timing belt/chain will need some TLC. not sure what they are charging for a timing light, but may be available for rent at auto part store if its expensive, or ask a neighbor to borrow one, gotta be a few people on every block with one tucked away in thier garage, good way to meet new people and make usefull friends. If u still have the problem at leat you'll know the timing is correct and can post again to include timing "perfect" and more info on year, engine tmodel and fuel delivery for additional support. good luck hope this helps.